When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”
She said, “No one, Lord.”
And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”
How much of your life have you spent disproving accusations and refuting condemnation?
The devil wants you to walk through life convinced that you are not enough and that you have ground to make up. If he can get you on the back foot, you will suspend what you are supposed to be doing with your life and get preoccupied with proving that you are not what they say.
When Jesus had a chance to push a point home about the evils of adultery, He let the woman off the hook! She didn’t have to explain herself and she didn’t have to prove anything, she was just off the hook! He understood that His respect for her dignity empowered her to do better.
If you want to walk free of condemnation, you will have to work on your sense of dignity. Here are 6 ways you can do that:
- Embrace your identity as the righteousness of God in Christ. What God has done for you is not just skin deep; it goes to your very core. You are clean! You are the real deal! You are solid gold, through and through!
- Submit to the authority of God’s Word. Satan doesn’t fear you as a human being until you submit to God and do things His way. Your authority over him is going to be as potent as your submission to the Word of God. Don’t take matters into your own hands, cast your care on God and trust Him to take care of you as you obey Him.
- Put boundaries around your life. Don’t trust yourself because the law of sin is at work in your members. However much you love God, you will mess up if you put your flesh in a situation where it can get out of order. If you are prone to depression, don’t entertain those movies; if you steal easily, don’t be alone with the shop takings. It’s wisdom.
- Develop a prayer life. When the opportunity to compromise shows up, the voice of God will stop you. His voice will be louder than the voice of your enemies if you fellowship with Him
- Be quick to repent, quick to forgive and quick to move on. Don’t sit at the place of your brokenness. Say to yourself, “They didn’t intend to hurt me – they are human beings. They made a mistake”
- Know that all you are and all you will ever be is by the grace of God. You are sufficient, not of yourself, but your sufficiency is from God. You will never face anything that you are not equipped to handle, and you have no pressure to perform because you are already impressive!
Heavenly Father, thank you that you never condemn me, and you never write me off. I receive your amazing gift of righteousness and embrace my new identity in You. Thank you that I have nothing to prove, and I give up my efforts to refute accusations from others. You are my God, you defend me, you protect me, and you restore my dignity.
I release those who have accused me and those who have worked against me, I forgive them by a decision of my will because I want to walk in your ways. Heal my heart and help me move on.
Thank you for wisdom, grace and self-discipline to walk worthy of you. Because you first loved me, I love you, Lord!