I like to try and take the surprise out of life. I don’t like life to happen to me, I prefer to shape my own destiny and enjoy the future that I am dreaming of. Success in this venture is determined by a person’s character, since character will ultimately place an invisible ceiling on a person’t destiny.
Character is wholeness of personality. It is about having no areas of inconsistency or incongruity.
It is synonymous with integrity, which comes from the word integer – a whole number – a number that is able to integrate with another without leaving a fraction.
A person of strong character can integrate with any and every situation that comes into their life without leaving things broken and in pieces.
Is the landscape of your life marked with fractions? Plans, projects, relationships abandonned and left unfinished? You can identify areas of weakness in your character by the number of fractions you leave everywhere.
Human beings will destroy with bad character what they build with their gifts.
Here are some hallmarks of good character:
- Honesty – This doesn’t mean that you don’t lie unless under pressure. It means you tell the truth to your own hurt.
- Consistency – Doing good consistently. Being the same all the time, so that people know how they will find you every time.
- Endurance – The ability to stay the course. Most people fail, not because they didn’t know what to do, but because they didnn’t do it long enough to get results! Do what you know to do long enough.
- Compassion – Not measured by how you treat those who can help you, but how you treat those who are weak and those you can exploit, they can never give you any advantage.
- Humility – This is not measured so much by what you think of yourself, but by how much you esteem others. Are you a legend in your own eyes? Do people have to serve you? Is it all about you?
- Loyalty – The willingness to set aside your plans to serve those to whom you are committed. Unfaithfulness starts when you detach yourself from the person to whom you are supposed to be attached and committed.
- Courage – The ability to face difficulty or danger without losing heart. The first thing every champion has to overcome is fear.
Building character is like digging yourself down far and long enough that when the storms of life come you will not be blown over. Like a tree in a hurricane that is not destroyed because its roots go down so far.
A person of character will always rise to the top. True success can never be separated from character. It is the foundation for long term success.
Character can be changed and developed whenever an individual chooses to take the challenge to break out of their own limits as an individual.
Become a person of character by acting as though you already are! Adopt the habits of compassion, courage, endurance, loyalty, humility, consistency and honesty. God will honor you and cement these things into your life. What an awesome way to live! Enjoy the life you always felt might be too good to be true. It is waiting for you.